One of the top headlines today is a story about a 24-year-old woman who got flesh-eating bacteria, or "necrotizing fasciitis," after a fall from a zip line. She's had one leg amputated and may lose some fingers and her other foot.
This is one of those scary stories that makes us wonder how vulnerable we might be to just the most minor of scrapes and cuts. Western medicine has some basic advice to give people to prevent such problems:
There is no known way to fully prevent the illness, but the National Necrotizing Fasciitis Foundation suggests these common sense tips: frequent hand-washing, immediate medical treatment for wounds (thorough cleansing of the area and application of an antibacterial ointment), limited contact with anyone with a strep infection, and teaching children the need for cleanliness.